Need a guide on how to write great Etsy product descriptions? We got you covered. In this article we take you step-by-step through the information you need to include in your Etsy product descriptions. This can help you drive more traffic to your Etsy store, gain customers’ trust, and generate more sales! So make sure to check out our recommendations.
A step-by-step guide on how to write great Etsy product descriptions
A well-written Etsy product description is essential for two things: 1) getting organic traffic to your Etsy store, and 2) getting customers to trust your store and your product enough to make a purchase.
In this article, we take you step-by-step through the things you should include in your description. In this way, you can make sure that your product description is well-optimized, and converting enough to generate more sales.
So, let’s look at 5 things you should do when writing your Etsy product description.
For our step-by-step guide, we will be using the candle in the photo below as an example:
Photo by Luma Candles on Unsplash
1. State exactly what the product is
This may seem like obvious advice, but there are so many people who don’t state clearly in their descriptions what they are selling. And it can be confusing sometimes. Especially if you use a lot of props when taking your Etsy product photos.
So, for our example, the Etsy product description should clearly state that we are selling a handmade candle.
2. Get specific about your product details
If you’re selling a physical product, here are some of the things you can talk about in your description:
- materials (for our product example, we can write something like this: “Our homemade candles are made with natural soy wax. The ceramic jars are also handmade, available in multiple color options, and can be reused.”)
- how the product is made – if you sell handmade items (in our case: “Our candles have a calming, heart-warming scent, thanks to the natural lavender and rosemary oils we use. The handmade wick ensures multiple hours of slow burning.”)
- sizes and colors available (for our product example, we could say that “The candles are available in 3 different colors: starry night blue, cream white, and sage green.”)
- how many products are included in the price (this is important especially if your product photos include more than 1 item)
Although you have introduced some of this information already in the Etsy product variations and materials fields, it doesn’t hurt to mention them in the description. It can bring more clarity to the customer, and it’s good for SEO-optimization. Think of all the keywords you get to use in your Etsy product description!
Finally, you have an opportunity to talk about how your product is made. And give your potential customers a sneak peek behind the scenes.
If you’re selling a digital product, here’s what you need to mention:
- make sure to explain again that the product is digital, and that no physical delivery will take place
- explain how and exactly when the customer will receive the file
- include the formats of the file(s); how many files are included, and what software (or hardware, if the case) the customer should use to open them
3. Celebrations and target audience
Etsy is big on shopping trends. Products that target celebrations are often bumped by the algorithm during specific times of the year. Think about the holidays, celebrations, and special occasions when your product would come in handy.
For our candles, we could say that “they would make a lovely birthday gift”.
Along the same lines, we can think about our target audience. Who would benefit from your product most? Kids? Moms? A specific demographic?
When it comes to our candles, things are pretty general. We can say “they are the perfect relaxing gift for busy moms”, “a great choice for Mother’s Day/ Valentine’s Day”, or “a lovely choice for a co-worker’s birthday”, etc.
4. Special attributes that make your product unique
Chances are there are at least a thousand more products from the same category as yours. Use your description to talk about what makes your product unique. Why should the potential customer buy from your Etsy store?
For example, let’s say that “our candles are made in a small village in France. We use sustainably-sourced materials and packaging made from recycled paper. For the scent, we use oils from locally-grown lavender”.
It sounds nice, doesn’t it? So, what’s your something special?
5. A paragraph about your Etsy store
Don’t be afraid to include a paragraph about your Etsy store at the end of your description. It can be a standard paragraph inviting customers to have a look at the other products in your store.
In this way, if they are not interested in that specific product, you don’t lose them completely. Moreover, maybe they will check out your store and find something else they love and want to buy.
For our example, we could end the description with something like this:
“If you want to discover other beautiful candle designs, as well as our organic beauty range, make sure to check out our Etsy store. Made with love, in the French countryside.”
We hope you liked our little guide on how to write Etsy product descriptions! Now take a piece of paper, go through these 5 steps, and start writing your own!
New to Etsy? Turn your passion into a successful Etsy store
If you want to open an Etsy store but have no experience with the platform and online selling, make sure to get our Ultimate FREE Guide to a Successful Start on Etsy, a step-by-step workbook to help you set up your store effortlessly:
You’ll get the complete PDF workbook via e-mail after you confirm your subscription. You can print it and use it as a work sheet. It will also help you calculate the right prices for your products with our table method, including all the costs and desired profit margins! And many other things.